Our next idea for a mathematical Halloween activity involves 3D shapes. Using a pop-up dodecahedron pupils can review the properties of 3D shapes such as vertices, faces and edges and have a great pop-up spider to take home.
Where’s the maths
- Nets of 3D shapes
- Properties of shapes; faces, edges and vertices
- Planes of symmetry
- Angle properties of each face of the dodecahedron
You will need
- Template of a dodecahedron, download one from Sen teacher website from here.
- Some black card
- Elastic bands
- Black pipe cleaners for the legs
- Elastic bands for pop-up ability
- Stick on eyes
Download a template of a dodecahedron from here the SEN website and use as a template.
Cut out the dodecahedron on black card but separate into two pieces like this;
Now test the pop-up ability of your spider by following this quick video;
Then decorate your spiders with eyes and legs made from pipe cleaners! Alternatively make a normal 3D Dodecahedron to make a spider that does not pop-up!
We like to hear how the ideas worked for you and would love to see a picture of any spiders made by your class!
Get in touch @numberloving and check out our free and premium resources in our TES NumberLoving Store.