Like a lot of teachers I spend a fair amount on things to support my teaching. For example, the smelly stickers from PTS are a favourite of mine for using as rewards. However, without a doubt the best buy I’ve made so far is my Hue HD webcam. This may seem expensive at £39.90, but considering I use it every day it has paid for itself time and time again!
It’s basically a webcam, but it has a weighted base and an adjustable arm so it works really well as a visualizer. You install the software (this takes a couple of minutes) and then simply plug in via the USB connector. I use this on a daily basis and it really is brilliant! Here are some ways I use it:
- Pick a student at the end of the lesson and display their work. Get the class to assess it and feedback. This is an instant plenary, it exposes misconceptions, promotes discussion, encourages good presentation and much more!
- As an extension get a student to write an exam question on the topic you’ve been doing. Then just put their question under the webcam and you’ve got your plenary sorted.
- Display an exit ticket from the previous lesson and get students to find the mistake as a starter.
- Display students’ exam responses and get pupils to mark them.
- Use after marking books to showcase really good work or a mistake lots have made.
- Use when teaching constructions (or measuring angles etc.) so pupils can physically see you doing it.
- Use to display a nice question in a book which you only have 1 copy of.
The webcam also has a little button on the top which takes a picture, so you can save their work, tweet it, email it to a parent – whatever you fancy!
Get in touch @numberloving and follow our Facebook NumberLoving Page
Check out our free and premium resources in our Store.